The National Network for Arab American Communities (NNAAC) is seeking candidates for the Washington, D.C.-based position of Government Affairs Manager. See below for a detailed job description, and click here to apply.
Title: Government Affairs Manager
Location: Washington, D.C.
Part-time, contract position
Job Summary: Under direction from the NNAAC Director, the Contractor will be responsible for leading NNAAC’s government affairs strategy in Washington, D.C. They will be expected to use extensive knowledge and skills obtained through education and experience to represent NNAAC’s position and interests on various subjects with policy makers, elected officials, and partner organizations. They must understand the organization’s needs and objectives in order to actively seek and capitalize on new opportunities. Must work independently on difficult assignments that are broad in nature requiring originality, ingenuity, and strategic thinking. Results are evaluated at agreed upon milestones for effectiveness in achieving specified results.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement a comprehensive government affairs strategy that includes policy research and analysis, a developed advocacy agenda for community members, coordination with coalition partners, and outreach to federal government and congressional offices.
- Represent NNAAC with policy makers, elected officials, partners, and advocacy coalitions.
- Develop relationships and interface with elected officials; DHS, DOJ, FBI and other government officials; partner organizations; advocacy coalitions; and other stakeholders as identified.
- Draft talking points, issue briefs and policy memos, and oversee the creation of presentations and the organization of forums and briefings.
- Assist with grant proposals and reports relevant to advocacy work
- Provide limited technical assistance to NNAAC member organizations re: advocacy work and campaigns
- Plan, coordinate and organize a 3-day national Arab American Advocacy week
- Provide regular reporting/updates on policy activity in Washington to NNAAC members, including tracking and reporting on legislation, floor statements, dear colleagues and congressional happenings relevant to identified priority issue areas.
- Utilize expertise in government affairs, advocacy, education, and public relations to help NNAAC meet their strategic objectives.
- Participate in the planning and coordination of special events conducted in the assigned area.
- Learn and maintain knowledge of the political landscape.
- Coordinate with ACCESS lobbyist where appropriate.
- Provide staffing support to executives for lobby visits to high-level elected officials;
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of issues facing Arab and Muslim Americans, with particular emphasis on civil liberties and/or immigrant rights.
- Advanced practices and techniques surrounding relationship building with government, institutions and other partner organizations.
- Written and oral communications.
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications, including Microsoft Office.
- Operating mobile technology in order to maintain up to the minute communication as necessary.
- Develop relationships and effectively represent NNAAC before public officials and other influential individuals and organizations.
- Effectively and efficiently manage programs and events.
- Network and quickly establish trust and credibility.
- Think and act strategically.
- Partner with other functional areas to accomplish objectives.
- Facilitate meetings, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas and problems are addressed.
- Incorporate needs, wants and goals from different organizational perspectives into strategic messaging
- Attend to detail while maintaining a big picture orientation.
- Gather information, identify linkages and trends and apply findings to assignments.
- Incite enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
- Interpret and apply policies and identify and recommend changes as appropriate.
- Manage multiple tasks with changing priorities to meet deadlines in a fast paced environment with constant interruptions.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
- Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
- Minimum Degree Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Required Disciplines:
- Public Policy, Government Affairs, or a related field
- At least 5 years government affairs experience. Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by Human Resources.
- Must be able to provide a writing sample (published opeds, policy memos, and/or reports)
Share this post!